The Town Hall
The Town Hall of Kanjiža was built in 1912 in the style of Secession (Art Nouveau). The architect was Zoltan Reiss from Budapest, Hungary. Because of the lack of finances the building was built in its simpler version. The building of the Town Hall is unique because of the vertical front chain windows, sheet iron decoration and the use of geometrically simple wall mirrors.
Today, the building of the Town Hall is used by the local government and other public services. In the entrance hall is often exhibited work of local artist.
Cnesa Educational and Cultural Institution
This institution was established in 1958 and its name at the time was “Worker’s University”. Then after more than three decades it was renamed into Cnesa Educational and Cultural Institution. In the beginning, the main tasks of this institution were the primary education, retraining and continuing education of adults. Afterwards the institution widened its activities. The main activities are still the education and adult trainings: language courses (English, German, Italian, and Serbian), computational trainings, courses for dressmakers and hairdressers. The institution is trying to keep up with the latest challenges. The second department in Cnesa is the House of Arts, where various concerts, literary events, film-projections and artisan activities can be organized. The third department of this institution is the Culture Cinema and there is a section of the Info TV, the local TV station.
Jozsef Nagy Regional Creative Centre
Kanjiža is proud of the great son of its town, Jozsef Nagy. He won many prizes in eurhythmics and dancing and has become the leader of the dancing-theatre in Orleans. He returned to his hometown and established the Jozsef Nagy Regional Creative Centre. The purpose of this centre is to help local artists and town to join forces with other European artists.
“Jovan Jovanović Zmaj“ Primary School
The primary school was built in 1900 in the style of eclectic as a catholic girl school. This monumental building was ready in couple of months, and it was built in honor bound of Hungarian settlement in 1896.
Jozsef Attila Libriary
The Library of Jozsef Attila in Kanjiža was founded in 1962. It keeps over 50000 books and over 40 titles of magazines in its Kanjiža and Horgoš, mostly in Serbian and Hungarian language. In the year of 2005 the Library was relocated into a new, spacious building, especially built for this purpose.
During the whole year various sorts of cultural programs are organized in the library, such as book promotions, exhibitions, performances for children, the Writer’s Colony etc.
The so called “Ornate palace“ is a typical small town house in the architectural style of Hungarian Secession (Art Nivou) with floral motives (on the Novokneževački road). The palace was designed in 1910 as a private house by Bela Szapanos, who was a local art teacher and an amateur painter born in Kecskemet, Hungary. The house of Bela Szapanos is renovated according to its original look, and it is a real treasure of Kanjiža’s architecture. The house is being used by the Public Company for Planning of Settlements of Kanjiža Municipality.