According to the latest archeological findings, traces of human settlement(s) from the Bronze Age can be found on the river banks of Kanjiža (presently: the Fishermen's Square), while the earliest human traces were found in Trešnjevac from the Neolithic age. The formation of early human settlements can be interpreted by the favorable conditions of the region (plentitude of water) as well as the fact, that the earliest crossing (haven) on the Tisa was beyond the Maros river discharge.
Close to the haven - in order to safeguard the crossing on the river- a watchtower was built on the highest peak of the terrain during the Roman age and later in the age of migrations, then, a fortification was built at the discharge of the Koros creek into the river Tisa. The brook was named by the Slavs living there in the 9th century and it appeared in the first written Hungarian sources after the Hungarian conquest as CNESA and KENESNA respectively, and is one of those Slavic names that have survived all the turbulent centuries of the Tisa region.
Main Square and the Main Street
On the Main Square there are the most important public institutions, the oldest and the most beautiful buildings of Kanjiža Municipality: the Town Hall, the Ornate Palace, Cnesa Educational and Cultural Institution, Nagy Jozsef Regional Creative Centre, the catholic and orthodox churches...
In front of the Town Hall is situated so called „Small park“. Make here a little pause and feel the atmosphere of this small Pannonian town. In the park there are monuments of a local painter Dobo Tihamer, a poet Koncz Istvan and the memorial of the fallen soldiers in World War II.
Once called the Park of Queen Elizabeth – the People’s Park was decorated in late 19th century by Karoly Bednarc. At the time, the park was a mixture of French and English park styles with a lot of water and greenery, which was typical for the Hungarian monarchy at the time.
Today, the Spa Centre of Kanjiža, Aquapanon**** and Lupus*** Garni Hotels are all situated in the park, as well as a football stadium, playground, etc. The park is an oasis of peace and greenery, just a short walk from the town centre. In the park there are the old buildings of Pagoda and Vigado, as well as several monuments:
The bust of Hermann Grünfeld (in front of the main reception of the Spa centre)
Hermann Grünfeld (1864 – 1926) was a banker, landlord and industrialist, who founded the main course of Kanjiža’s economic development at the beginning of the 20th century. The bust was made in 2005 by Sava Halugin from Subotica, Serbia.
He founded a brick and tile factory in 1903 and a decade later the Spa Centre of the Miraculous well. He was for sure a great businessman and a visionary.
The Algerian or Gipsy girl
The statue of a beautiful Gipsy girl is in front of the old building of the Spa Centre called Abella. It symbolizes the legend of the Miraculous well. According to the legend a gipsy girl cured her legs and became beautiful after bathing in the water of the Miraculous well in the field 6 km from Kanjiža.
- The monument of the „Mayfly“
The Mayfly insect (Palingenia longicauda) is a creature that fascinates people because of its love ritual and the beauty of its form and colour.
- The monument of the Writer`s Colony
The Writer` s Colony is a cultural event, which celebrated its 60th birthday in 2012. The monument in the People`s Park was built to commemorate its founders: Sandor Bogdanfi, Laslo Gal, Istvan Latak, Mihaly Majternyi and Jozsef Sulhof.